How To Prevent Warts
No matter how well you take care of your skin, there is unfortunately no foolproof way to avoid getting warts. There are some steps you can take to reduce your chances of getting or spreading them.
Here’s how you can reduce your risk of getting warts:
- Avoid biting and chewing fingernails and cuticles. This can predispose skin to infection.
- Wash hands often (reiterate the importance of this to children).
- Moisturize – especially dry, cracked skin.
- Always wear sandals or flip flops in public showers, locker rooms and pools to prevent plantar warts.
- Clean cuts and scratches thoroughly with soap and water since they are susceptible to warts and other infections.
- Never share razors, towels or socks with others. Even if no wart is visible, they may still carry the virus.
- Keep your hands and feet dry and wear extra-absorbent socks if your feet sweat a lot to help prevent.
- Avoid touching other people’s warts.